Exploding a moment!

Nicole, my 18 year old daughter and I climbed into the charcoal grey, four door, expensive vehicle. It was a Dodge Charger, you could smell that new car smell. The feeling of the rumble of the motor starting up was exhilarating. I didn’t even need to put the key in the ignition. I had it in my pocket all I had to do was just push a button to start. I reached for the shifter, pushed the button, and eased it into gear. Away we went, down the street to the gas station. I slowly put my foot on the accelerator. I could feel the power under my sneaker. We filled the gas tank, and hit the highway. Nicole found a radio station that was playing the perfect music for this trip, rock and roll. It set the ambiance, we looked at each other and smiled. We had a ten hour ride ahead of us. I drove faster than usual, enjoying the wind coming in the windows. I love the sound of the motor every time I put my foot down on the gas pedal. I even squeaked the tires a little, as my foot pushed down on the pedal. “Your crazy mom” said Nicole. She was afraid I would get a ticket. I just wanted to know what the car could do. How fast it could accelerate, as we could feel the vibration (brrrruummm) of the  motor under our seats. I settled down after a bit, but I still felt excited driving this new car. We got all the way to a New Hampshire “rest area” before we took a pit stop. I didn’t even want to stop driving. We had some great mother-daughter bonding time throughout the ride.

One thought on “Exploding a moment!

1. This is a good example of exploded moment, though your emphasis seems to be more on car than your daughter. To show that bonding, you might want to use more details about your relationship with her and/or dialogue. (You don’t need to revise this unless you want to put it in your essay. I’m guessing it doesn’t really fit… since essay seems to be more about your relationship with granddaughters.)